About the trials and tribulations of being a Liberal Arts graduate in the job market. Sound advice, amusing stories and information that relate to young adults feeling their way around the job market for the first time. Finding out the unwritten rules and pitfalls that come with job-hunting, the first job, establishing a career, and growing out of being a student.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Fare Thee Well

by the Liberal Arts Dude

This is my farewell post for the Liberal Arts Grad blog. It has been quite a wild ride in the blogosphere starting with the Liberal Arts Grad web site in 2002 which was resurrected as the Liberal Arts Grad blog in 2004.

Through these years of blogging I've been fortunate enough to have been featured in the Washington Post (here and here), receive fan email and made friends with other bloggers who write about student loans, debt and the trials and tribulations of life after college. Most of all, I have been pleasantly surprised and touched by people who wrote me who said they that they are thankful someone chose to create this blog.

I originally envisioned this blog as my way of following in the footsteps of the zine publisher Keffo (Jeff Kelly of the legendary zine "Temp Slave" -- for those of you who don't know about it, you can still purchase copies of the book the Best of Temp Slave in Amazon.com. I thought that the legions of unemployed, underemployed, debt-ridden, and angry Liberal Arts grads would be a viable niche to start a publication. And this new technology called "blogging" provided a cheap, no-frills and convenient way to publish my writings on the trials and tribulations of being a Liberal Arts grad in the job market.

But alas, as it turns out, various factors have given me the signal that the time is ripe for me to retire this blog.

- My "real life" is increasingly becoming more and more hectic and demanding as I juggle family life, grad school, and a fulltime career. I am scheduled to graduate in May 2007 but the road from now till then is going to demand that I devote my energies to these priorities over other activities.

- I feel like I've said my peace on the various issues that I felt strongly about on being a Liberal Arts grad. I have expressed all there is I ever wanted to say about my experiences as a Liberal Arts graduate and I can't think of anything more I would want to say without repeating myself.

So with that I retire this blog with a quote. Lyrics from the Ozzy Osbourne classic ballad, "Goodbye to Romance"

"And I feel the time is right
Although I know that you just might say to me
What'cha gonna do
What'cha gonna do
But I have to take this chance goodbye
To friends and to romance
And to all of you
And to all of you
Come on now

I say goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends, I tell you
Goodbye to all the past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end"

Keep on Rocking!

I'll keep the blog online for several more months before taking it offline.

\m/

The Liberal Arts Dude

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it offline? There's so much valuable knowledge fresh liberal arts grads could gain from reading your posts. Please leave this blog online for other readers' benefit--I know it helped me.

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Liberal Arts Dude said...

Hi there

Many thanks! If no one objects I'll leave it online for the benefit of fresh liberal arts grads, just as you said. I am gratified that my blogging has helped you and this vote of confidence is making me reconsider taking the blog offline. Perhaps a la the Invisible Adjunct this blog will remain retired but I'll leave the archives online.

5:31 AM

 
Blogger michael said...

Sad to see the blog go.

In a way, going to grad school makes you the quintessential liberal arts grad.

Grad school could even be a fount of new blog-fodder!

-Mike

PS- See you in June!

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Abroad Jobs said...

Nice informative article. thanks for sharing and keep sharing such kind of articles, as these articles really helpful for experienced and new comers.
Job Listings

11:37 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

I am trying to start a blog with a very similar theme if anyone wants to check it out. It's www.theliberalartist.com this is a cool blog. Mine will be a bit less school based but I will still try to include stuff about school

1:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home